[Kde-pim] Problems with Autostart and Unique Akonadi Resource Capabilities

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Oct 22 09:43:59 BST 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 13:09:16 Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been having problems with my resource because I had both set in
> X-Akonadi-Capabilities config option Autostart and Unique. When
> starting my resource, I was getting this in the debug output:
>
> * OK Akonadi Almost IMAP Server [PROTOCOL 23]
> 0 LOGIN "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource"
> 0 OK User logged in
> 1 RESSELECT "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource" 2 BEGIN
> 1 NO akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource is not a valid resource
> identifier.
>
> Instead of:
>
> 0 LOGIN "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource"
> 0 OK User logged in
> 1 RESSELECT "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource" 2 BEGIN
> 1 OK akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource selected
>
> To come down to the conclusion that it was Unique and Autostart
> Capabilities being at the same time set was particularly difficult for
> me to notice, I finally tried the bruteforce option of starting a new
> resource and modify it one step at a time so that it ended up being my
> original resource so that I could notice which step was the culprit,
> doing reinstall, restarting the server, removing and adding again the
> resource. I know that there must be better ways to debug akonadi
> server related problems, but you know sometimes I try the hard way
> just because.
>
> Then finally when I knew that it was the Capabilities problem, I
> looked again at kdesupport/akonadi code and saw that Autostart
> automatically sets Unique so I don't really need to set Unique myself
> and that fixed the code for me. But why would akonadi server silently
> fail if I set Unique and Autostart manually that I don't know. If we
> want to warn the user about Unique not being needed, that's probably
> not the best option, so I guess we are talking about a bug here.

definitely, this is not the intended behaviour.

> Someone can help me find what's really the problem in akonadi server
> in this case to be able to fix it?

the server code add the unique capability only if it is missing, so specifying
it should not make any difference to the automatic handling done in the
server.

Could you check with akonadiconsole what the content of the resource table is,
using the db browser tab? Does it contain the resource id shown in your debug
output without any _X suffix? The only reason you should get the error you
saw is if the resource identifier given to the RESSELECT command is not in
that table at the time the command was issued.

Ahh, forget what I wrote above, it's a race condition on resource
autocreation, we had the same before with "normal" resource creation, fixed
in revision 1038892.

regards
Volker