[Kde-pim] CPU-Time within the function slotMsgRetrieved

Guy Maurel guy-kde at maurel.de
Tue Oct 6 18:14:37 BST 2009

Hi!

I'm making some CPU-Time mesures bei getting 10000 of small mails with POP3.
Each message has only 125 bytes netto and 1200 bytes brutto.
The CPU-last for the POP3-server is about 1% on the first host.
The intranet has 100Mb-ethernet.
The CPU-last for the Kmail (the client) is about 5% on the second host.

I make small modifications on Kmail, at the file popaccount.cpp, to get the
CPU-Time at the beginning and at the end of the function slotMsgRetrieved.
I use the function
  clock_gettime (CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID, ...
to get the CPU-Time and the function
  kDebug()
to make a protokoll at the terminal.
Some grep and gawk uses give me the data in the right format to make a picture
with OpenOffice.

The picture shows the result. The X-axis is the number of the POP-connection
to the server ( the number of the message I get), the Y-axis shows the time
between two messages. There is only 1000 points here (because of the size of
the PDF-file).

One can see a very big differences on the Y-axis. About 1:40. One can see also
some "lines" where the time is nearly the same. Another picture should show
that the time within the function is nearly the same for all the messages.

The questions I like to give you is:
What is appening outside the function slotMsgRetrieved?
Which task(s) is/are consuming so much of the CPU-time?

Thanks for any help/idea.
--
guy maurel