[Kde-pim] Reply to Author != Reply to Author ?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Oct 4 22:06:45 BST 2009

On Saturday 03 October 2009, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
> On Saturday 03 October 2009, Martin Koller wrote:
> >> Yes. Very true. They will either use "Reply" or "Reply All" (and
> >> then optionally remove the undesired recipients). "Reply to
> >> Author" and its counterpart "Reply to List" is for advanced users.
> >
> > So now I'm puzzled. If "Reply to Author" does the same as "Reply",
> > what's then the usecase for the former ?
>
> Maybe I can chime in as one of those "users not developers".
>
> Who is the author of an email? I always thought that would be the
> entity listed in the From address field. The author can set the
> Reply-To field, in order to tell me that he wants me to reply to that
> address instead of his "real" address. With "Reply to Author" I
> expect to be able to override that and send to the guy in the From
> again, without having to right click on his name, delete addresses or
> manually add them.

The author is a person. The author is not an email address.

Let's do a thought experiment: If somebody sends you a letter (i.e. one
of those weird paper thingies) and asks you to send your answer to a
specific address mentioned in the letter, what will you do?
a) I will send the answer to the address mentioned by the sender in the
letter.
b) I will send the answer to the sender address written on the envelope.
If your answer is a), i.e. you honor the wish of the sender, then you
will also have to honor the Reply-to header.

> Also, you could see it this way. The mail was really sent by the guy
> in the From field, he just didn't use a regular email program to be a
> nice guy and notify other users of bugzilla of the changes he made.
> Instead, bugzilla did that for him. It's just a very useful
> automation of that task.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say. Our
Bugzilla is misconfigured. David asked me how to fix it and I told him
how to do it. I'm confident that our Bugzilla will very soon send
notifications where KMail's Reply to Author will work as you expect it
to work.

Regards,
Ingo