[Kde-pim] Reply to Author != Reply to Author ?

Alexander Gretencord arutha at gmx.de
Sun Oct 4 23:14:19 BST 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> The author is a person. The author is not an email address.

Ah, I guess that was a little misleading. By "entity listed in the From
field", I meant the person behind the address, not the address itself.

> Let's do a thought experiment: If somebody [...] asks you to send your
> answer to a specific address mentioned in the letter, what will you do?

That depends. To stay with your analogy, let's say I know the person and know
that he wants me to send to that address, because he's on vacation there. I
still choose to send to his home address though, because I want to. So yes,
it's answer a) for me.

Of course, in another situation, I might just follow his advice and send it to
the address mentioned in the letter. Just as the RFCs say, a
Reply-To-Header "suggests", where to send a reply to.

> KMail's Reply to Author will work as you expect it to work.

Ok, I guess I overlooked the fact that KMail _does_ reply to the From address,
if it detects a mailing list. In that case, Reply To Author really works the
way I would expect it. Great :)

Alex