[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 21 12:32:48 BST 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 13:19:40 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2009-10-21, Christian Mollekopf wrote:

> > > This sounds like it's a combination or similar to Basket with some
> > > elements of KJots or KNotes in there too.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Basket goes into a similar direction, but looks a bit too standalone for
> >  me, while the new application would add little extra features but is
> > more or less just a wrapper around existing things.
>
> While I haven't used Basket myself, I immediately though of it since what I
> heard about it sounds just way to similar.
>
> I don't get that "bit too standalone" in your paragraph above. Isn't your
>  idea also to have a specialized application and integrate with others on
>  the data level?

I had a closer look at basket, and noticed that it has indeed a very similar
idea, but the representation of the data is more or less the same as kjots (a
tree view). This can be now overcome with nepomuk (i believe).

Further i believe we need some common backend (like akonadi) to share the
collected and generated data between the pim applications (kmail,
kjots/newapp, kcalendar, kaddressbook)

The feeling that it was a standalone application is, because it is still a kde
3.5 application, and according to the website the development stopped there,
and the project is dead since one year.

I believe anyway this would endup in a more or less complete rewrite (porting
to kde4, akonadi and adjusting everything which is needed), so i would rather
start completely over.

Anyway, i will forward this thread to the basket mailinglist to see if we find
some interested people.