[Kde-pim] Review Request: find_package support for libkleo

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Oct 27 11:46:30 GMT 2009

On Tuesday, 2009-10-27, Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:
> > On 2009-10-26 22:30:10, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > No, you can't use GPL libraries in LGPL projects.
> > Stuff using GPL libraries needs to be GPL itself.
>
> Are you 100% sure? I might be wrong in this, but let me cite the FSF GPL
>  FAQ:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
> "If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean that
>  any program which uses it has to be under the GPL or a GPL-compatible
>  license?
>
>     Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library."
>
> Key being here "GPL-compatible license". And LGPL is such a license, as
>  shown here:
>  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

While I think that you are right, the intend of licencing KHTML under LGPL is
to allow its use in non-GPL projects.
So deriving from or linking to GPL code might be OK as far as KHTML is
concerned, it would have unwanted consequences of how any work derived from or
linking to KHTML has to be licenced.

However, this is moot anyway, KHTML is in kdelibs, evne kdepimlibs is "on top"
of that.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring