[Kde-pim] HTML support in Kmail

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 9 11:14:08 GMT 2009

On Monday, 2009-11-09, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 08 November 2009, nicco ts wrote:
> > >The biggest problem with respect to HTML support in KMail is the
> > > lack of a powerful WYSIWYG HTML editor written in Qt that we could
> > > use in KMail.
> >
> > It could sound as insane idea but "the end justifies the means". So
> > what about to use koffice to compose messages instead of Qt HTML
> > wysiwyg? Yes I hear people swearing if they will see kmail dependency
> > with koffice ;-) and koffice is not core KDE4 application I suppose,
> > but it would be so nice. Just same as Outlook uses Word to compose
> > messages, so you can't have big Outlook without full Office.
>
> Did you ever have a look at an HTML message created by Word? 90 % of the
> HTML is totally superfluous. This is such a waste of bandwidth.

I am not even sure that this mode is supported any longer, i.e. using Word for
composing messages.
Too many people assumed the receipient gets what they write which of course is
not true since (a) Word exports to HTML and (b) it totally depends on how the
receipient's mail user agent renders the content that Word thinks is HTML.

Everytime I demonstrate this to someone using advanced word processor
capabilities for creating mails (e.g. letter heads, page border graphics) are
usually stumped that they've sent rubbish to their correspondence partners for
quite some time.

Outlook should at least have put the Word document into a multipart-mixed or
something.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring