[Kde-pim] Notes in KDE in the future

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Nov 4 00:08:47 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Brad Hards wrote:
> > On Monday 02 November 2009 23:28:33 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > I cut a bit of nepomuk stuff here that I don't understand fully,
> > but I do have a question about what the user sees. Lets say I have
> > two separate desktops (e.g. work and home), and I can (somehow)
> > access my work groupware server from both desktops (and perhaps
> > some extra stuff like my private IMAP account, and the gmail
> > account that gets the
> > not-safe-for-work stuff). However I don't have a common filestore.
> > If I create some tags on a note at work, what do I get at home?
>
> My understanding of Nepomuk, which might be a bit cloudy, is that it
> handles local annotations/relations. If I tag an email in kmail which
> happens to be on an IMAP server, and then access that email from
> another application on a different computer, the other application
> will not know anything about the tag.
>
> However, we could also conceivably define some custom headers in the
> mime messages like

> or something similar for Nepomuk annotations to indicate such things
> in a transferable way. Then if you tag a note in a commonly
> accessible location with giraffe on your work computer and other
> applications can process the tag, it could be made to have the same
> tag when accessed anywhere.
>
> So it's possible, but we'll have to see if it makes real sense or if
> people want it like that. I do prefer the idea of tasks instead of
> tags, and supporting both would probably be overkill, especially as
> applications would need to have user interfaces for both.

Just a quick remark that using headers for storing information is a bad
idea (at least when it comes to IMAP). By design IMAP does not allow
changing a message. In particular, adding or changing a header isn't
possible. The only way to do this is to delete the old version of the
message and add the new version of the message. Obviously, this is
overkill if all you want to do is add/change a single header.

Maybe there is an IMAP extension which allows this. I do know that there
is such an extension for adding flags (e.g. read, replied, important,
etc.) to a message. This extension is already used by KMail for making
KMail's message flags available from everywhere.

Regards,
Ingo