[Kde-pim] akonadi_ical_resource problem

Bertjan Broeksema b.broeksema at home.nl
Fri May 29 15:36:40 BST 2009

Hi Douglas,

I encounter the same issues.

Douglas Harms wrote:

> I encountered another issue with akonadi that I wanted to ask about.  When
> I use kpilot to sync a palm pilot with 5600 records, it takes a *very*
> long time.  After kpilot inserts all 5600 records into akonadi, it takes
> akonadi_ical_resource 3 hours to process all of the new records.  Should
> it really take this long?
>
> While akonadi_ical_resource is running I watch the database using
> akonadiconsole.  It seems that it takes about 6 seconds to insert each
> record.  (I notice that the new records in akonadi have an empty "Remote
> ID" field; about every 5-6 seconds one more record has a non-blank Remote
> ID value, and I assume this means that akonadi_ical_resource has now
> processed one more record.)

I especially can confirm this issue. I took a look at it with some help from
Volker.

The default save interval is 1 min. I did a watch on the ical file with:
watch -n 1 "cat agenda-500-records.ics | grep "BEGIN:VEVENT" | wc -l". This
showed that every minute there where about 26 records saved.

So some calculations show: 5600 / 26 = 224 => 224 / 60 =~ 3.6 hour. Seems in
the same order of magnitude as you reported. After that I attached callgrind
to the ical resource which showed that QString::operator< is called ~41
million times in about ~10 minutes.

The callgrind output is attached to this mail (Just for the record, I
already send it to Volker). Volker do you take a stab at this? If any other
debug output is needed let me know, I'd be more than glad to produce
something that might be helpful on this issue.

Cheers,

Bertjan