[Kde-pim] syncml gSoC - further info and some ideas

Adenilson Cavalcanti savagobr at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 19:08:39 BST 2009

Sascha

> We (Kevin and me) actually expanded it quite a bit in terms of what I would
> like to accomplish and how.

Kevin has sent to me the updated proposal and I have just read it. I got to say that the scope increased a little, don't you think?
;-)

> Yes and I still haven't decided about that yet, see below...

Since your project aims to support KDE (a desktop environment), maybe libsyncml should be chosen since it has bluetooth transport implemented.

Nowadays every notebook has it already and even the cheaper cellphones has it too. If you go with funambol, you will be stuck with HTTP transport and having to either:

- not support local cellphone sync and support only remote syncml servers

or

- require that both the host computer *and* the cellphone being connected on the same network to make sync possible. It would require the cellphone to have wifi connectivity if using a wireless access point (an not all cellphones has it)

or

- setup a bluetooth wireless network (a bit scary for common users, since it require to set the AP on cellphone too)

or

- write a BlueZ transport for funambol (a bit out of scope of your project).

Considering all those points, I think that libsyncml is the way to go.

> The interesting part is what will be hidden, since the "higher level" API is
> not documented and all current documentation states that the API is "low
> level"..

I have recently discussed the subject with libsyncml primary developer and maintainer. As long you stay with the public DS API and data sync API (in "High Level API" of doxygen documentation), it will be fine with future releases of libsyncml.

Maybe a good starting point for learning how to use it is the syncml-ds-tool.c in 'tools' directory. This CLI tool supports both calendar/contacts/etc when accessing either a remote server (using HTTP) or a local mobile device (using bluetooth).

Best regards

Adenilson