[Kde-pim] What to do

Fred Wade fredbwade at gmail.com
Wed May 6 04:15:50 BST 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Tyler,
>
> On Friday 17 April 2009, Tyler Southwick wrote:
> > I've been using KDE for a long time and have recently started to use
> > Kontact.  I want to help with the development on this.  Where can I
> > start? Also, the site for kontact (http://www.kontact.org/) seems to be
> > really out of date. Thanks!
>
> Right. We are trying to move the data to the KDE TechBase Wiki, especially
> the development related stuff.
>
> The main page [1] there is not very well structured either, but I guess it
> at least links to all the relevant information.
>
> Generally, KDE PIM development is mainly focused on migrating our
> application and storage backends to the Akonadi [2] infrastructure.
>
> While there is obviously lots of things that can be done in that area,
> there are also lots of opportunities to work on the applications
> themselves. For example KMail has a special page [3] dedicated to so called
> "Junior Jobs", i.e. development tasks the maintainer judged to be doable by
> a new comer without needing too much knowledge about the whole code base.
>
> For dicussion and review of patches we are using a web based reviewboard
> application [4]. Any other form of discussion or questions can be directed
> to this mailinglist or our main IRC channel (#kontact on the freenode
> network).
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> [1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM
> [2] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi
> [3] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/KMail_Junior_Jobs
> [4] http://reviewboard.kde.org

I'd also like to start helping out, but I'm having a lot of trouble setting up
a development environment under Gentoo KDE 3.5. I've had to download a lot of
masked packages and I'm still not there. Am I going down the wrong path? I'm
not ready to upgrade to KDE 4 for day to day use as it is still masked.

I have another machine with Kubuntu and KDE 4.2. Would it be better to use
this for development?

I could also set up a partition on my main machine and install another linux
distribution. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Fred Wade