[Kde-pim] What to do

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed May 6 09:43:30 BST 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-05-06, Fred Wade wrote:

> I'd also like to start helping out, but I'm having a lot of trouble setting
> up a development environment under Gentoo KDE 3.5. I've had to download a
> lot of masked packages and I'm still not there. Am I going down the wrong
> path? I'm not ready to upgrade to KDE 4 for day to day use as it is still
> masked.

It is better not to install the packages you distribution does have but rather
get the sources from KDE SVN and build those into a development prefix.

The advantage of using a KDE3 based system is that your development work won't
interfere as easily with your running setup, e.g. you basically need to just
set KDEHOME to a different directory.

In a KDE4 based system you also need to set XDG variables, run a second D-Bus
instance, etc.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring