[Kde-pim] spam-filtering, introduce "unsure" folder

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue May 12 16:12:49 BST 2009

On Sunday 10 May 2009 11:42:41 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Some time ago I wrote to the bogofilter mailinglist because I found that
> many users do not mark email as ham if it appears in their inbox. They only
> take action if there was a wrong decision, i.e. if ham is in the inbox,
> there is no need to emphasise that implicit "decision" by marking it
> explicitly as ham. Hence bogofilter never actually starts to kick-in.
>
> http://www.bogofilter.org/pipermail/bogofilter/2009-January/009572.html
>
> From the conversation in that thread I gathered that while bogofilter has
> an "unsure" state, kmail does not use it.
>
> http://www.bogofilter.org/pipermail/bogofilter/2009-January/009576.html
>
> Currently there are only two directions for incoming mail when bogofilter
> was just enabled, trash or inbox. Trash is a bad idea, because there are
> certainly false positives and inbox isn't that good either because it
> mediates that the all mails in it are not spam.
>
> If kmail would filter emails into an unsure folder, the user would see that
> bogofilter is actually working, which is already an improvement. Further
> the unsure folder is not the trash, so the user is not afraid of losing
> email and finally since "unsure" is a state that needs further processing,
> the user will take some action on those emails which is what bogofilter
> needs.
>
> In a worst case scenario the user just moves the emails back into the inbox
> and marks the spam as spam. However, those that get the hint will use the
> ham/spam buttons to process the email and use them to move them to the
> inbox or the trash respectively.
>
> If kmail would use a spam-folder by default instead of the trash, this
> spam- folder could act as the unsure folder.

Hi Sven.  I don't use bogofilter within kmail these days, as it is working at
imap server level.  However, it shouldn't be difficult to create an Unsure
folder then write a filter for Unsure that runs before the existing bogofilter
filters.  Test on the X-bogosity header and tell it to move the message to the
new Unsure folder, then stop processing it.

The process for doing it at server level with procmail is detailed at
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Spam_filtering_on_an_IMAP_server

It probably would be a good idea to make this Unsure process a default part of
KMail, so perhaps you should file a RFE at bugs.kde.org.

Anne