[Kde-pim] Fwd: syncml gSoC

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Tue May 12 13:24:19 BST 2009

On Monday 11 May 2009 21:42:09 Adenilson Cavalcanti wrote:
> Sascha
>
> Thanks a lot for your promptly answer.
>
> I have read the initial proposal that you send to kde-pim list
> sometime ago, I'm just not sure if you have changed anything about the
> proposal or the scope since then.
We (Kevin and me) actually expanded it quite a bit in terms of what I would
like to accomplish and how.

> I remember from the initial proposal that you have being considering
> whether to use funambol or libsyncml libraries.
Yes and I still haven't decided about that yet, see below...

> Considering libsyncml being static or not, maybe the information
> bellow could help to decide:
>
> a) AFAICT, there is only 1 client app that uses it (opensync)
AFAIK the same holds for libfunambol (funambol project) ,which is actually bad
in both cases ...

> b) the 'public' or user API should not change much in the next
> releases, but 0.6x series will hide some of the lower level functions
The interesting part is what will be hidden, since the "higher level" API is
not documented and all current documentation states that the API is "low
level"..

> c) Debian provides at least 0.5.2 pre-packaged
I did the same for openSUSE.

So to sum it up, I'm willing to experiment a bit with both libs and see how
things work out.
--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com