[Kde-pim] Jewish Calendar plug-in

Loïc Corbasson loic.corbasson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:25:36 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 09:06, Shai Berger <shai at platonix.com> wrote:

> Hi Pimsters,

Hello Shai,

> It seems the Jewish Calendar plug-in needs a little care, and I intend to
> give
> it some. The problems I am aware of are:
>
> * Bug 149614: Recurring events on Hebrew calender
> * Bug 181110: Hebrew calendar plugin: print Hebrew dates when exporting
>              calendar to HTML
> * (At least in English locale) Month view does not show hebrew calendar
> * (At least in English locale) Show above/below (from configuration)
> applies
>  to the Gregorian info, Jewish stays below

I remember about "Month view does not show hebrew calendar", I think it is a
general problem for CalendarDecoration plug-ins as they were not ported to
the new month view, but porting should be quite easy, as CalendarDecoration
is quite flexible to implement and the new month view is cleaner code than
before. I do not know much about the others, sorry.

> Is anyone maintaining this plug-in? I could not find KDE mailng-list
> messages
> about it later than 2004, and the svn log shows very little activity after
> 2007.

AFAIK, there is no maintainer. Some names appears in the headers though, you
may try sending a mail or two.
I worked a little on it to make it a CalendarDecoration, but do not have the
time and resources to do KDE development right now, so I'm only following
the Dot and a few mailing lists but I may provide outdated info.
If you need info on CalendarDecoration and/or the Jewish calendar plug-in,
you may try to ask me though -- I just cannot guarantee you a perfect
answer.

> Besides a maintainer, do you have any other pointers/suggestions before I
> plunge in? a korganizer plug-in writer's guide? KResource/Akonadi
> considerations? I have made some minor UI fixes to KOrganizer in the 4.1
> period, but I'm not very fluent with its architecture, so any help would be
> appreciated.

I think the Jewish calendar plug-in is one of the most simple in its
CalendarDecoration part. The rest is, if I remember correctly, C code ported
as-is.
As for guides/documentation, well, apart from the apidocs, I'm not aware of
anything else (but more experienced PIMsters may correct me).

Best,

Loïc