[Kde-pim] Summer of Code

Carter Dewey thpenguinsrcomin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 21:00:59 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'm a student that is interested in potentially submitting an
application for this year's Google Summer of Code, and thought I might
introduce myself and a KDE/Akonadi related idea for a bit of feedback. I
ran this idea by someone a couple of days ago (Thomas McGuire) and he
suggested coming to the mailing list to introduce myself and the idea
that's stirring in my head so far.

Essentially, a professor of mine has been doing a fair amount of work
with the BasKet (http://basket.kde.org in case anyone hasn't looked at
it) application, and I've started to find interest in the project as
well through him. He had mentioned that one of their big goals was to
integrate Akonadi support into BasKet, and we both thought this could be
a good concept for a SoC project for me. A few things that I've been
told we should probably think about and clear up are: 1) Will we be
porting BasKet from KDE3->KDE4 as part of the SoC proposal too and 2)
How exactly we intend to integrate Akonadi (as far as what purpose it
will serve for BasKet).

Really, I'd just love to hear any constructive criticisms, feedback, or
advice that anyone might have about this idea. If it seems like
something that would be interesting and worthwhile, then maybe I can put
up a proposal draft a little later and really flesh things out better.
I'd very much like to have a shot at a SoC spot, so I'm open to any and
all help that people are willing to give, and I'll try my best to make
it work. I'll also probably start hovering around the #kontact channel,
if for nothing else than so I can listen.

I look forward to hearing what you all think. Thanks for your time.
-Carter