[Kde-pim] Summer of Code

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Mar 11 10:13:55 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Friday 06 March 2009 22:00:59 Carter Dewey wrote:
> I'm a student that is interested in potentially submitting an
> application for this year's Google Summer of Code, and thought I might
> introduce myself and a KDE/Akonadi related idea for a bit of feedback. I
> ran this idea by someone a couple of days ago (Thomas McGuire) and he
> suggested coming to the mailing list to introduce myself and the idea
> that's stirring in my head so far.
>
> Essentially, a professor of mine has been doing a fair amount of work
> with the BasKet (http://basket.kde.org in case anyone hasn't looked at
> it) application, and I've started to find interest in the project as
> well through him.

sounds like he would be a good mentor for this project then.

> He had mentioned that one of their big goals was to
> integrate Akonadi support into BasKet, and we both thought this could be
> a good concept for a SoC project for me.

Without knowing BasKet in detail, this looks like a reasonably sized project
for GSoC indeed.

> A few things that I've been
> told we should probably think about and clear up are: 1) Will we be
> porting BasKet from KDE3->KDE4 as part of the SoC proposal too and

So, BasKet is not yet ported to KDE4? This could be a problem as this is
required for using Akonadi (there is no Akonadi support for KDE3), and such
ports take considerable time in itself already.

> 2)
> How exactly we intend to integrate Akonadi (as far as what purpose it
> will serve for BasKet).

this might give some hints on why Akonadi integration can make sense:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#When_should_I_use_Akonadi.3F

> Really, I'd just love to hear any constructive criticisms, feedback, or
> advice that anyone might have about this idea. If it seems like
> something that would be interesting and worthwhile, then maybe I can put
> up a proposal draft a little later and really flesh things out better.
> I'd very much like to have a shot at a SoC spot, so I'm open to any and
> all help that people are willing to give, and I'll try my best to make
> it work. I'll also probably start hovering around the #kontact channel,
> if for nothing else than so I can listen.

regards
Volker