[Kde-pim] Review Request: Polishing: icons for context menus, sortable identity list

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Mon Mar 9 10:02:07 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 08 March 2009 21:04:49 Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > The identities used to be sorted alphabetically in KDE 3 with the
> > > exception that the default identity was always listed first. Since
> > > the order of the identities influences the mechanism choosing an
> > > identity to use for a reply it makes sense to allow sorting. So I'm
> > > in favor of this change.
> >
> > The order of the identities in the GUI dialog influence reply
> > behavior? Where in the code is that and how does that work? That
> > seems unintuitive to me, especially because the order can't be
> > changed (the patch doesn't change that, it just enables GUI sorting
> > by clicking the header of the listview).
>
> Ah, it only changes the order in the GUI. The order of the identities in
> the GUI dialog does not influence reply behavior. Sorry, for the
> confusion.
>
> The order of identities in IdentityManager (which atm is the order of
> creation) is only important if several identities have the same email
> address which I guess isn't the common use case.
>
> The relevant code is
> KPIMIdentities::IdentityManager::identityForAddress() called by
> KMMessage::identityUoid() (<- this is the interesting method) called by
> KMMessage::initFromMessage() called by
> KMMessage::createReply()

Ingo, thanks for pointing this out. I didn't think of the case of identities
with the same mail address at all. In this case, the preferred reply identity
is indeed dependant on the identity creation order. As this is a corner case,
I don't think it is really worth doing something about this.

Regards,
Thomas