[Kde-pim] gsoc project: akonadi for pop3 and smtp

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Mar 18 09:16:43 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 00:51:45 Constantin Berzan wrote:
> KMail nowadays uses ioslaves for pop3 and smtp.  I am considering
> developing akonadi resources for pop3 and smtp, and porting kmail to use
> them, as a GSoC project.  The akonadi resources will be based on the code
> in kio_pop3 and kio_smtp.
>
> First off, please holler if someone is already working on this.  I know
> someone is doing the "Akonadi Resource for KMail local folders" project and
> I am not sure whether they intersect.
>
> Some questions:
> * What do you think about the scope of such a project?  Is it too little /
> too much to do in one summer?

It is certainly doable I think, assuming you have some C++/Qt experience
already.

> * Are there any obstacles that I might be overlooking?  From what I've read
> about akonadi, it should be able to handle pop3, but I have my doubts about
> smtp.  A write-only resource?

Right, that's why we came up with a different approach for sending. Ingo
started a mail dispatcher agent in playground/pim which basically monitors
the outbox and processes any mail put in there, using the mailtransport
library. The agent is only a skeleton so far, completing it would be a good
GSoC project IMHO.

regards
Volker