[Kde-pim] GSoC - Akonadi SyncML agent

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Tue Mar 31 11:57:13 BST 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 13:26:38 you wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 March 2009 11:12:17 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> > I already had a talk with Kevin about this back at the Qt Dev Days last
> > year. In the meantime, I missed to get in touch with Volker at FOSDEM,
> > but Kevin reminded me about that idea and so I came up with this (not
> > perfect yet) GSoC proposal:
> >
> > http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2009/saschpe/
> >t1 23849664087
>
> I can't see anything there without signing in I'm afraid.
Hmm, I don't think it's possible to see proposals without being logged into
the GSoC page...

> > I hope this is of interest to the KDE-PIM people and to generate some
> > comments on my humble writings ;)
>
> Obviously this could be already explained as I can't sign in but have you
> looked at OpenSync? There was previously integration using OpenSync and it
> has SyncML support and I'm not sure if they ever added an Akonadi engine.
> That would probably be what you'd want to be creating.
Yepp, opensync is known to me but to my knowledge they haven't made a stable
release yet. That said, I did quite a lot SyncML stuff back as part of an
intern (see proposal) and already created something similar for Qtopia. My
experiences with OpenSync where ... not so pleasant, I used a SyncML-protocol
implementation from the Funambol projects. But however, I plan to evaluate
once more libsyncml + libwbxml (which are part of OpenSync). So either one of
those will be chosen for the protocol part.

> Standalone SyncML support in Akonadi would be (in my humble opinion) less
> preferable to OpenSync and would also be a very tough job to get it working
> during the Summer of Code timescale.
See above, complexity is greatly reduced by using a protocol implementation,
the main task is then to integrate this as an agent into Akonadi, followed by
an user interface (be it stand-alone or some joint-venture with KPilot, who
knows).

--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com