[Kde-pim] gsoc project: akonadi for pop3 and smtp

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Mon Mar 23 22:37:19 GMT 2009

Hi Constantin,

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 00:51:45 Constantin Berzan wrote:
> KMail nowadays uses ioslaves for pop3 and smtp.  I am considering
> developing akonadi resources for pop3 and smtp, and porting kmail to use
> them, as a GSoC project.  The akonadi resources will be based on the code
> in kio_pop3 and kio_smtp.
>
> First off, please holler if someone is already working on this.  I know
> someone is doing the "Akonadi Resource for KMail local folders" project and
> I am not sure whether they intersect.
>
> Some questions:
> * What do you think about the scope of such a project?  Is it too little /
> too much to do in one summer?
> * Are there any obstacles that I might be overlooking?  From what I've read
> about akonadi, it should be able to handle pop3, but I have my doubts about
> smtp.  A write-only resource?

Right now, it is quite unclear who does which project, unfortunatley. I think
Bertjan dropped doing POP3, so that would be available. But I'm not entirely
sure. So I think you can do the POP3 agent (not resource in this case, but we
can discuss that later) and the mail dispatcher agent.

You also asked on IRC about doing some composer refactoring in KMail, which
would also be great.

Both projects would be suited for a Summer of Code project, I think.

I think you can basically pick a project of both, or even submit two
proposals.

Regards,
Thomas