[Kde-pim] Right-To-Left (RTL) Support in KMail's Composer

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jun 2 19:39:14 BST 2009

On Tuesday 02 June 2009, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 June 2009 17:45:55 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > The way to go here would be that someone modifies KRichTextEdit +
> > KRichTextWidget in kdelibs to include those changes. Then it is
> > only 1 additional line in an RC file to add the RTL action to
> > KMail.
>
> Yes, the "patch" should be part of kdelibs... you are correct.
>
> > Is there a way to detect if the current locale is RTL? If so, we
> > could only add the action to the toolbar if that would be the case,
> > since LTR users don't need that button.
>
> QApplication::isRightToLeft()... but... why?
>
> What if I live in Israel, and my desktop is English, or spanish? You
> will be surprized, but a lof of people here use an English UI. We
> should have a configuration in KControl(?), which will be default to
> off unless:
>
> 1) we are in an RTL locale
> 2) we are in in LTR locale, but XKB has a hebrew/arabic/farsi layout
> 3) enhanced support for RTL languages is set up in QtConfig
>
> Watch for (2), in Windows Qt3/4 sets on "Enhanced support for RTL..."
>  if (2) is true.

Hmm, is such a button really necessary? Isn't it possible to set the
correct mode automatically depending on the entered text? We do already
have heuristics for showing text/plain messages containing RTL text
correctly. Wouldn't it be possible to use the same heuristics for the
composer (with initial direction being determined by 1), 2) and/or 3))?

We could still add such a button as last resort in case the heuristic
fails.

Frankly, I'm surprised (or rather shocked) that this doesn't work
already out-of-the-box with QTextEdit. Does it only break in HTML/RTF
mode?

Regards,
Ingo