[Kde-pim] Parallel build issues in KMail Kontact plugin

ABCD en.ABCD at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 17:57:03 BST 2009

Thomas McGuire wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 09 July 2009 21:30:34 you wrote:
>> Thomas McGuire wrote:
>> > Which version is that? I remember having that a long time ago, but I
>> > think it was solved in r761957, see
>> > http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=761957. I never ran into this
>> > problem again afterwards.
>>
>> This was reported to me in 4.2.95, and it doesn't seem to have changed
>> since.
>
> We can not reproduce the system and nobody ever reported this so far. I
> just tried a clean build with -j10 and it worked, and others also build in
> parallel regularly. Our nightly bot also did not complain. So we can't
> reproduce this.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Okay, I was looking at the code, and it seems the only reason we are hitting
it in Gentoo is because we are dealing with a partial checkout/extract,
which, as I understand it, should be supported.  The checkout only contains
that which is needed to build kmail/, plugins/kmail/, doc/kmail/, and
kontact/plugins/kmail/, with other subdirectories disabled in
CMakeLists.txt.  The issue appears to be that, if kontact/plugins/kmail/ is
entered before kmail/, then cmake will try to generate
kontact/plugins/kmail/kmailinterface.cpp before
kmail/org.kde.kmail.kmail.xml, and fail doing so.

I belive this can be reproduced on a full checkout if, after running cmake,
immediately run `make -C kontact/plugins/kmail`, which will fail with the
following output:

$ make -C kontact/plugins/kmail
make: Entering directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build/kontact/plugins/kmail'
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
Scanning dependencies of target kcm_kmailsummary_automoc
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
Generating kcmkmailsummary.moc
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
[  0%] Built target kcm_kmailsummary_automoc
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
[  0%] Generating org.kde.kmail.folder.xml
[  1%] Generating kmail_folder_interface.cpp, kmail_folder_interface.h
[  1%] Generating kmail_folder_interface.moc
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `kmail/org.kde.kmail.kmail.xml', needed
by `kontact/plugins/kmail/kmailinterface.cpp'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
make[1]: *** [kontact/plugins/kmail/CMakeFiles/kcm_kmailsummary.dir/all]
Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/kmail_build/kontact/plugins/kmail'

- --
ABCD