[Kde-pim] KMime vs. custom headers

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Jul 14 11:40:18 BST 2009

Hi,

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 06:42:46 Constantin Berzan wrote:
> Looking at the code in KMime::Content::assemble(), I see that headers are
> handled in two ways:
> 1) "known" headers are hard-wired in assembleHeaders(), which is extended
> by Message::assembleHeaders() for Messages;
> 2) custom "X-" headers are added in assemble() itself.
>
> This leaves a number of non-"X-" headers which are optional, but are not
> handled in assembleHeaders().  These headers are not handled in any way,
> and if added to the message, they will be lost and never appear in the
> encoded content!  From the headers defined in KMime, at least ContentID,
> ContentLocation, and MailCopiesTo exhibit this broken behaviour.
>
> I'm writing to the list because I'm not sure how to fix this.  Should we:
> * treat every header type defined in KMime in assembleHeaders() and make it
> a rule that, apart from those headers defined in KMime, only "X-" headers
> may be added?
> * find some generic way to treat these headers?

I'm for the second solution, we can't add all possible non X-headers to KMime.
Keep in mind that there is a difference between headers of MIME parts (the
Content class) and headers of the message (the Message class).
No clear idea from my side how to do this, KMime looks a bit messy with
regards to headers.

Regards,
Thomas