[Kde-pim] Fixing D-Bus interfaces as we go

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jul 13 18:54:22 BST 2009

Hi all,

somebody on forum.kde.org was asking for help on using qdbus to open a
prefilled KMail composer, basically a port of an analogue DCOP call.

Initially we thought that the problem was a wrong syntax for specifying
stringlist on the qdbus commandline so I suggested an equivalent dbus-send
command.

Deeper investigation showed that the syntax had actually been correct, but
qdbus was matching the provided arguments against a different openComposer
signature [1].

The problem is not in qdbus or how it works but rather in the D-Bus interface
on KMail's side.

D-Bus interfaces do not support overloading, so each method name has to be
unique! [2]

So I suggest we keep this in mind when porting and rearchitecturing the PIM
apps, so we can fix interface we are about to change anyway and do not
introduce new overloads.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] dbus-send doesn't have this problem since it doesn't use D-Bus
introspection but just builds the message as specified through arguments and
lets the receiver figure out what to do.

[2] By design, most likely because not all languages support that
KDE user support, developer mentoring