[Kde-pim] KDE-PIM bug day?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 27 20:48:20 GMT 2009

Hi Dotan,

on Tuesday 27 January 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> KDE-PIM is more than just Kmail. Korganizer has so many bugs with
> moving events that I am scared to move recurring events for fear of
> the mess that I will have to clean up. There are at least four open
> bugs on it, for various problems. There are also a ton of other bugs
> in Korganizer and Kaddressbook, many of them crashers. Not to mention
> the tens of feature requests.
>
> I will be honest here: I will soon be jumping ship if KDE-PIM doesn't
> get it together soon. That's not a threat, it is the way a long time
> and until recently loyal user feels as he watches the application to
> which he entrusts all his data to slowly bitrot. I don't _want_ to
> start checking other PIM solutions, but if Kontact does not get some
> serious bug fixing done before KDE 4.3 then I will certainly have to.
>
> Please, guys, put some effort into all of KDE-PIM, not just Kmail. I
> really do appreciate all of the work that you've done until now, but
> I feel as if I've become dependent on the software and abandoned.

Don't worry! Be happy! 'cause for KDE 4.3 we plan to port KAddressBook
and KOrganizer to Akonadi. In fact, Tobias decided to develop a new
KAddressBook from scratch. Our hope is that this port will fix a large
number of bugs in KOrganizer and obviously the new KAddressBook won't
have any of the bugs the old KAddressBook has. (Yes, that's wishful
thinking on our part. ;-) ) The port will probably introduce a few new
bugs, but
a) the net bug count should decrease significantly, and
b) we will get rid of a lot of bit rot.

Regards,
Ingo