[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Review Board

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 20:02:34 GMT 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009 12:02:54 pm Jonathan Marten wrote:

> Allen, this is a completely new facility (at least, I can't remember
> any mention of reviewboard on kde-pim or any other ML until your
> message today).  So would you be able to explain a bit more as to
> whether reviewboard is intended to replace bugs.kde.org, or supplant
> it?  For example:
>
> (a) End user finds a problem, or has a wish.  Presumably they submit a
> bug using bko as previously.

Correct. No change there.

> (b) Knowledgeable user or casual/part-time developer finds a problem
> or has a wish, and develops a patch to fix.  Do they submit this to
> reviewboard only, or should a bko bug be raised as well?  I'm guessing
> the latter, because some of the reviewboard requests refer to bko
> bugs.

I think what should happen.. user submits a bug/feature request.
Then he goes and puts his patch up on reviewboard for discussion/review.
Links the patch to the bug.

If the user attaches a patch to the bug, we ask them to kindly submit
the patch onto reviewboard (or someone does that for them).

> (c) Someone finds that something in a PIM application isn't working as
> they expect, but they are not sure if it is working as designed or
> where in KDE the problem really lies.  Can they ask on the kde-pim ML?

Yes, or in kdepim-users ML or in #kontact or in #akonadi, etc.

> I'm sure the review system will work, I'd just like to be sure how it
> should be used...

Good questions

Now we need to hope the reviewboard software itself gets some patches.
It is pretty buggy, we are discovering.  Drat.

-Allen