[Kde-pim] how to sync akonadi resources (laptop <-> PC)?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 6 11:53:23 GMT 2009

On Friday 06 February 2009, paai wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:

> >> In the pre-akonadi era, I used to copy the traditional datafiles to the
> >> other computers that I work on, so that if I forgot my Treo, I still
> >> would have an up-to-date agenda on every PC.  But that is out of the
> >> question now :-(
> >
> > Why is that out of question now?
>
> because I do not have the slightest idea where my data are.

Same locations as before.

> I have
> designed my datebook as an akonadi resource, so I guess the data
> are somewhere in the ankonadi sql-tables. But after a sync of
> datebook,  I also see an .ics file in .kde/shared/apps/korganizer.

Just to make sure: is this the only calendar resource you've configured or
would you have assumed that the data is handled by another one?

> So to copy my data to other computers, I have to stop the akonadi
> mysql-server on both computers, copy all tables /and/ the ics-file and
> restart the servers? Frankly I am afraid to even to touch the akonadi
> setup, now I have syncing the datebook sort of working.

If the goal is to shared just the data, then copying the data files should be
enough.
Copying the database should only be necessary if Akonadi specific metadata
needs to be shared as well. Not sure if this is currently supported though.

> To top it off, it seems I can only change the setup using GUI's. To an
> old unix hand like me that is like repairing a wristwatch with mittens
> on.

AFAIK all configs should still in the old school INI-style format.
The one for the Akonadi server is for certain, the use of QSettings INI
backend is enforced by the code. The configs of the resources might depend on
what backend is selected for KConfig, though it is most likely the default
INI-file backend as well.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring