[Kde-pim] Akonadi Cache Problem/Question

Douglas Harms dharms at depauw.edu
Mon Feb 16 17:27:50 GMT 2009

on 02/16/2009 10:52 AM, Sergio Martins wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2009 09:24:47 Volker Krause wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 13:23:37 Douglas Harms wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using korganizer (compiled from the svn 4.2 branch) and noticed
>>> recently that akonadi doesn't seem to be moving cache entries to my
>>> std.ics file.  (For example, my std.ics file hasn't changed for two days
>>> now even though I've inserted many items into korganizer.)  I've tried
>>> to synchronize the folder but that doesn't make any difference.
>>>

> What settings do you have in this dialog?
> http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4425/54441959vw0.png

My settings are exactly like the image you sent - 1 minute autosave
delay and file monitoring enabled.

What I noticed is that for several days, when I created new events in
korganizer they would appear in my std.ics after a short delay.  Then,
for some reason, new events stopped appearing in std.ics but were still
showing up in korganizer;  the delay wasn't just a few minutes or hours,
but days would go by and nothing was written to std.ics.  I noticed,
however, that the changes were stored in the databases in
local/akonadi.  (It seems that once things stopped going into std.ics,
they never went in again.)

My immediate problem is that I had been backing up std.ics since, at
least when I started, all events were there.  Now that I know I need to
backup .local/akonadi, I'm OK.  However, it seems strange that the
behavior seemed to change for no apparent reason.  Perhaps it's that I
don't fully comprehend the relationship between akonadi and std.ics.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks!!

--Doug
>>> Everything seems to appear in korganizer, but I really feel exposed
>>> since I can't backup my std.ics file.  (I'm helping fix some bugs in
>>> kpilot and every now and then things get corrupted; I *really* need to
>>> backup my korganizer files.)
>>>

> Try File->Export->iCalendar
>

>> I think Sergio and Kevin fixed that bug last night.
>>
> I'm not sure if it's the same thing, in yesterday's bug I would experience
> immediate data loss if I unchecked the resource box.
>

> Regards,
> Sergio

Douglas E. Harms, Ph.D.
Greenleaf Professor of Computer Science