[Kde-pim] Akonadi Cache Problem/Question

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Feb 17 11:15:34 GMT 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009, Douglas Harms wrote:
> on 02/16/2009 10:52 AM, Sergio Martins wrote:
> >
> > What settings do you have in this dialog?
> > http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4425/54441959vw0.png
>
> My settings are exactly like the image you sent - 1 minute autosave
> delay and file monitoring enabled.

Ok.

> What I noticed is that for several days, when I created new events in
> korganizer they would appear in my std.ics after a short delay.  Then,
> for some reason, new events stopped appearing in std.ics but were still
> showing up in korganizer;  the delay wasn't just a few minutes or hours,
> but days would go by and nothing was written to std.ics.  I noticed,
> however, that the changes were stored in the databases in
> local/akonadi.  (It seems that once things stopped going into std.ics,
> they never went in again.)

Probably due to a bug. We've fixed quite some since 4.2 got released but
individual workloads might of course trigger some we haven't experience yet.

> My immediate problem is that I had been backing up std.ics since, at
> least when I started, all events were there.  Now that I know I need to
> backup .local/akonadi, I'm OK.  However, it seems strange that the
> behavior seemed to change for no apparent reason.  Perhaps it's that I
> don't fully comprehend the relationship between akonadi and std.ics.

The calendar entries should still end up in the file since it is their main
storage location.
Not sure what would cause that to stop working, maybe Akonadi thinks that the
resource is "offline" and therefore does not tell it about changes.
Can you check Systemsettings -> Advanced Tab -> Akonadi configuration and
check if it has any other status then "Ready."?

Additionally it might be wise to follow Sergio's reocmmendation and create a
backup by explcitly exporting the data from KOrganizer.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring