[Kde-pim] [akregator] Bayesian approach to ease news reading...

Frank Osterfeld frank at kdab.net
Sun Feb 1 20:00:14 GMT 2009

On Sunday 01 February 2009 16:17:40 jack wrote:

>  Using bogofilter [1] it would be "easy". When you read some new this
>  data is considered as ham, and the db is updated. All the news don't
>  read are considered as "spam".. then every time you read or not a new
>  you are teaching the algorithm. Bogofilter reads a message from stdin
>  and returns 0 (spam) or 1 (non-spam).. using that logic it could
>  changes the background color of the new.
>  That would be the initial idea.

I have no idea how such an approach it would work out for RSS feeds, but I find
it a quite interesting area for experiments and research.
Some years ago, a student started to experiment with classification techniques
such as bayesian filters and Latent semantic indexing. It didn't get very far
though (and the code is not in SVN).
Actually, this was the original reason to add the (now removed)
ArticleInterceptor interface I mentioned in the other thread ;)
If you want to implement bogofilter support, we can either re-add
ArticleInterceptor in trunk and implement it as an akregator plugin, or
implement as Akonadi agent based on krss (trunk/playground/pim/krss).
The former has the advantage that you can integrate it directly in akregator
as it is now and requires probably less ramp-up time than getting used to
akonadi. krss, on the other hand, is the future backend, avoids later porting
to akonadi and might be also more accessible when experimenting (One can hack
anything he wants into the demo rss reader of krss without fear of breaking
stuff). You can also add additional item properties such as bogofilter scores
there more easily. As we'll have virtual search folders there, bogofilter
results (like a search folder with all items above a certain treshold) would
be even a good test case there.

Frank Osterfeld -- frank at kdab.net