[Kde-pim] Google PIM Support

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 16:49:23 GMT 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009 16:12:17 Adenilson Cavalcanti wrote:
> Support for other services (e.g. notes) could be easily added, the
> only thing that is missing is man-power since is a one-man spare time
> project (and I have myself other pet-projects to take care, e.g. Amora)
Hopefully I can give you a hand with some of this.

> Now that Qt 4.5 will have XQuery/XPath full support it should be easy
> to write a qtgcal/libqgcal/libqtgcal (or whatever name could be
> fancier) to free us from libxml/libcurl dependencies (which themself
> are well tested and multiplatform libraries present in practically all
> linux distributions...).
>
> Basically is a matter of rewriting the code, but the tough part
> (understanding the protocol, writing the XPath expressions, etc) is
> already done.
Sounds good!

> I just started libgcal because at that moment I was not aware of any
> well documented and actively mantained C/C++ library implementing
> google data protocols.
>
> *But* with a desktop user perspective, I think is more important to
> complete the akonadi resource to have something working (maybe for the
> upcoming KDE 4.3), which lead us to the next topic.
>
> c) akonadi resource: it (please look in playground/pim/googledata) already
> support most of operations for google contacts (get/add/edit/delete)
> and is pretty stable (I have tested it with more than 500 contacts
> without any hicup). It uses KWallet to store the user account details
> and has a Qt based dialog for user account details input.
>
> What is missing now is:
>  * Contact photo support (protocol part is done, is all about integration);
>  * Retrieve server side changes (query by updated is already implemented in
> libgcal) * Proxy support (libgcal already has it, is a matter of getting
> the proxy from the desktop environment);
>  * Support for google calendar (again, is a matter of adding the code
> to call libgcal).
>  * Support for more fields;
>  * Further testing;

> So gentleman, there are lot of work to be done, and definitely
> contributions are welcome. Anyone that is interested in the subject
> and want to help can contact me (irc: Savago, email:
> cavalcantii-at-gmail-dot-com).
Sign me up!

I guess from my point of view it would be good to implement as much of the
Google Data API in libgcal or the libgcal-qt replacement, such as using things
like Blogger and Notebook too.

At the moment though I'm fairly easy on either helping with the Akonadi
resource or libgcal rewrite or libgcal as-is (I've written more C than C++).

Please just let me know if you want to chat on irc (mikearthur) or where you'd
like help so I can get stuck in!

Mike Arthur
http://mikearthur.co.uk/