[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Review Board

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Mon Feb 2 04:30:20 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:

> patches

> inboxes or
> >
> > Allen, this is a completely new facility (at least, I can't remember
> > any mention of reviewboard on kde-pim or any other ML until your
> > message today).  So would you be able to explain a bit more as to
> > whether reviewboard is intended to replace bugs.kde.org, or supplant
> > it?  For example:
> >
> > (a) End user finds a problem, or has a wish.  Presumably they submit a
> > bug using bko as previously.
> >
> Correct. No change there.
>
> > (b) Knowledgeable user or casual/part-time developer finds a problem
> > or has a wish, and develops a patch to fix.  Do they submit this to
> > reviewboard only, or should a bko bug be raised as well?  I'm guessing
> > the latter, because some of the reviewboard requests refer to bko
> > bugs.
> >
> I think what should happen.. user submits a bug/feature request.
> Then he goes and puts his patch up on reviewboard for discussion/review.
> Links the patch to the bug.
>
> If the user attaches a patch to the bug, we ask them to kindly submit
> the patch onto reviewboard (or someone does that for them).
>
> > (c) Someone finds that something in a PIM application isn't working as
> > they expect, but they are not sure if it is working as designed or
> > where in KDE the problem really lies.  Can they ask on the kde-pim ML?
> >
> Yes, or in kdepim-users ML or in #kontact or in #akonadi, etc.
>
> > I'm sure the review system will work, I'd just like to be sure how it
> > should be used...
> >
> Good questions
>
> Now we need to hope the reviewboard software itself gets some patches.
> It is pretty buggy, we are discovering.  Drat.

Allen, thank you VERY much for getting this going! I was just wishing we had
a reviewboard setup earlier today, as we have a new contributor to KPilot
(WOOT!).

I also wanted to add that I work with the reviewboard primary authors
(Christian Hammond and David Trowbridge) at VMware and I know they're
working very hard on getting a reviewboard 1.0 release out. I'd be more than
willing to act as liason between KDE and them, if need be, and bring up any
problems we have with them. They're great guys and care very much about
reviewboard.

Anyway, again, thank you very much for getting reviewboard set up for us!
=:)

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-