[Kde-pim] kpilot refuses to work

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Mon Feb 2 19:06:50 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:10 AM, paai <J.J.Paijmans at uvt.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
> I already tried to post my problems, but it seems they
> are so trivial that reactions are superfluous...
> Nevertheless, I really need the syncing of Korganizer
> and my Treo 650, and I am at my wits and (which perhaps
> is not so very far, but I can't help it).

Hi there again! =:)

> My versions are as follows:
>
> paai at breslau:~$ kpilot -v
> Qt: 4.4.3
> KDE: 4.2.00 (KDE 4.2.0)
> KPilot: 5.2.0 (KDE 4.2.0)
> pilot-link 0.12.3

Okay, this all looks good. Did you make sure to clean up and remove all of
your earlier installations of KPilot? I think I remember that you were
trying to help with the beta/rc source code of KPilot. I don't remember when
I bumped the version up to 5.2.0, but we had bug fixes coming in right up to
(and past) the KDE 4.2.0 tag.

Can you please remove your kpilot packages and then make sure that there are
absolutely no installed KPilot libraries, binaries, or conduits on your
system before installing them from your distribution again? What distro do
you use, by the way?

> When I try to sync my contacts, kpilot gives an error (signal 6)
> and the palm and kpilot time out.

So, the timeout is because of the ASSERT you list below.

> The message is
> ASSERT: "equal( rec, hhRec )" in file
> /build/buildd/kdepim-4.2.0/kpilot/conduits/contacts/contactsconduit.cc,
> line 473
> KCrash: Application 'kpilotDaemon' crashing...
> sock_file=/home/paai/.kde/socket-breslau/kdeinit4__0

Please open a bug report for this on bugs.kde.org. Also, when you do this,
please add an attachment with the full debug output of KPilot. You can get
this by doing this:

killall kpilotDaemon kpilot
kpilotDaemon --debug=9 > ~/kpilotDaemon.debug 2>&1
... then sync and get the errors you're seeing...
and then attach ~/kpilotDaemon.debug to the bug you file.

> When I only try to sync Datebook, the messages are:
>
> 12:03:55 [Conduit kpilot-conduit-calendar]
> 12:03:55 HH data proxy: Start: 7. End: 8. 1 new record(s).
> 12:03:55 PC data proxy: Start: 1. End: 2. 1 new record(s).
> 12:03:55 Data mapping invalid after sync. Sync failed.
> 12:03:55 The conduit Calendar Conduit could not be executed.
> 12:03:55 End of HotSync

If you sync again, does the situation get fixed? KPilot is making sure it
doesn't corrupt your data, and at the end if things aren't sane, it removes
the previous mapping files. When you sync again, it will do a first-time
sync and make sure things are in a correct state.

> I cannot imagine that I am the only Treo user that cannot sync...

 Well, you are the first Treo user that I've seen complaining about it, to
be honest, unfortunately. I have a Treo 700p and it has been syncing
correctly.

Anyway, please open a bug report so we can triage this there. But I'll need
to see the full debug log to better help.

Thanks for the e-mail!! =:)

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-