[Kde-pim] KDE 4.2 KPilot coming! (how to both be excited and have realistic expectations)

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Fri Feb 6 15:23:51 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu> wrote:

> Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Gunter Ohrner
>> <G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Any updates on this? Is this just not possible at the moment?
>>

>> Yeah, it's just not possible, and quite honestly, it's not something I'm
>> even considering at this point. =:/ The problem is that we have to maintain
>> backwards compatibility with the older devices and databases that don't have
>> and can't handle these fields. I'm sorry. =:(
>
> Isn't this somehow done by the real Palm software as well, though? As
> far as I know, you can use newer software with older devices and there
> are no issues.

To my knowledge there is _no_ Palm syncing solution for Linux that
does this. The Jpilot author was looking at supporting this at one
point, but I'm not sure if he ever got it finished. And to be clear,
you can definitely use newer software with older devices, but when
you're talking about supporting databases that have differing
capabilities (location, birthday, etc.), then you have to code support
for that into each syncing solution that cares about it.

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
 -[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-