[Kde-pim] Google Summer of Code 2009

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 26 11:57:53 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009, Robert Ã…kerblom-Andersson wrote:

> Hi thanks for the input!
>
> I have never used koffice since I use openoffice, and therefor I guess I
> have missed kplato aswell...
> But I have seen the name.. :P haha
>
> Downloading it right now to check it out a little more! Thanks for the tip.
>
> This akonadi thing seams to be very "hot" if you get what I mean... Many
> people have told me about that "akonadi integration" is something that
> people thinks should be done. Because of this I have read some about it and
> it really makes sense! But how much work is it to "add it" to some existing
> project?

It is not that hard if you don't have to replace other forms of already
exisiting calendar integrations.
Even then the most difficult part is to understand the concepts in Akonadi so
you can efficiently work with the API.

> I really think that akonadi sounds interesting and fun! But if I for now a
> start are thinking about GSoC 2009 should I aim for just "akonadi
> integration" since it that might be a project of it's own. Or should I go
> for this calendaring idea. Hm, and a third thought is can you push them
> both into one project, but feels like it might be to much I dont know..
>
> But if I have got the whole thing right I could give in more that one
> proposal right, work out some proposals and then I dont really have to
> choose in a way... :) (and yeah I'wee read the GSoC FAQ)

Right, you can make proposals for all these ideas and even combine them if the
mentors feel that such a combination would still be doable within the GSoC
time frame.

You should probably discuss the integration idea with the KOffice developers,
mailinglist koffice-devel.
Depending on how much is needed in KPlato it might be possible to do this and
Akonadi addressbook integration fpr KWord (mail merge feature).

> I'we been writting this for a long time now without sending it away, but
> now I have downloaded and tested out Kplato! It really feels like an
> interesting project as well! Something that I reflected on were the fact
> that it was in "KDE 3.5 style", is there an KDE 4 version out like beta or
> something?

As far as I can tell it is part of the 2.0 Beta package
http://www.koffice.org/announcements/announce-2.0beta6.php

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring