[Kde-pim] how to sync akonadi resources (laptop <-> PC)?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 19:14:41 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the recommended way nowadays to keep PIM data (on a laptop
> and a desktop computer) in sync?
>
> In the pre-akonadi days, I have simply included the *.ics and *.vcs
> files in the general synchronization process (performed with unison).
> This worked rather well, but obviously, it does not do so anymore.
>
> I have tried to sync the contents of
> ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi, which sometimes worked, but
> more often than not crashed the akonadi server and forced me to
> completely reset it.

Copying the database files while the database is running is extremely
dangerous. You need special tools for this to ensure that the database
files are in a consistent state when you copy them. AFAIK, the Akonadi
system tray applet provides a way to backup the Akonadi database.

> My queries for documentation and hints on this issue were
> unsuccessful. I'd appreciate your input, since it is pretty crucial
> for me to get this up and running again.

I think for the time being (i.e. for KDE 4.2) you can continue to do
what you did in the pre-akonadi days. Akonadi watches the *.ics and
*.vcs files for changes and automatically updates. Moreover, please
note that even with Akonadi the data is still stored in the *.ics and
*.vcs files.

When KDE 4.3 gets released hopefully OpenSync will be ready.

Regards,
Ingo