[Kde-pim] [kde-promo] Fwd: Anmeldung OpenExpo 2010 und Ankündigung Open Source Forum 2010

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 12:28:02 GMT 2009

On Saturday 19 December 2009 09:09:26 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Jos, I love you! (Just don't tell markey...)

Hehe, I won't ;-)

> 2009/12/18 Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>:
> > This is actually a place we should visit more often. A real business
> > expo. Darn, I remember CEBIT 2009, had a great time connecting to
> > interesting people. It's rather different from talking to interested
> > users - much more like selling something.
>
> But CEBIT is extremely demanding and hard, since it lasts over a week
> and you have a very different public, many of them only visiting to
> get free merchandise, especially on weekends.

Yep, it's actually the stand holders I found most interesting ;-)

> OpenExpo has the charm to be in the middle of the week, so there is
> much less general public, and it is mainly business and administration
> oriented. As it shares the fairground with TopSoft, a proprietary
> CRM/ERP event, there is quite some concurrence, but the suits usually
> have a hard time against us, we definitely attract more visitors at
> OpenExpo :)

Good, good.

> I wonder if some of our fellows working on KDE-PIM, KOffice, KMyMonney
> - just to mention a few - would be interested to join in? Switzerland
> is pretty much virgin ground for Free Software, a few distributions
> have booths as usual, and with the new focus on business I guess there
> will be less private user targeted software accepted.
> I wouldn't be astonished to see a booth focused on Kolab, that would
> be a perfect opportunity to join forces and make KDE a serious option
> in the Swiss market

Ask them? (cc'ed kde-pim at kde.org, hope that's the right list and maybe sebas
can say something too)

> > When it comes to the application, it seems they just want to have a
> > project description for that. So I wrote one based on kde.org and a lot
> > of editing ;-)
> >
> > KDE is an international technology team that creates Free Software for
> > desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products are the desktop and
> > netbook workspaces, comprehensive office productivity and groupware
> > suites and hundreds of software titles including Internet and web
> > applications, entertainment, educational and software development.
> >
> > KDE brings to the forefront many innovations for application developers.
> > An entire infrastructure has been designed and implemented to help
> > programmers create robust and comprehensive applications in the most
> > efficient manner.
> >
> > KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with
> > ease of use and modern accessibility in mind. KDE's applications are
> > available for Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac OS X and various mobile platforms.
> >
> > The KDE community is one of the largest and most active Free Software
> > communities. It's products are used far and wide and it cooperates with
> > the biggest industry players like Nokia, Intel and Google. The KDE
> > community has a strong focus on innovative, powerful technological
> > solutions. Besides having accomplished major deployments in a variety of
> > areas like schools, governments and large companies, its technology forms
> > the basis for entire generations of netbooks and the browsing
> > capabilities of Google Chrome, Apple's iPhone and many other
> > applications.
> >
> > The KDE community works with various large and small businesses,
> > governments, universities and is always on the lookout for interesting
> > partnerships with other organisations.
> >
> > 220 words.
> >
> > How about it, helpful? Would have to be translated in German, I suppose?
>
> Perfect! Translation is not a problem, I can do this over the weekend :)

Good.

> > And how about keeping this once comments are processed - I'll put it on
> > community.kde.org so it can be used later on.
>
> Very good idea, so we have a boilerplate for events that can be used
> everywhere, respecting our new branding.

Indeed. I'm however waiting for a bit of comments on the text ...

> Thanks a lot for your help. How about joining the party? The event is
> really nice, catering is free and really yummy and Bern is a beautiful
> town!

Well, it seems very german-oriented and I don't speak german (can read it,
hear what ppl are saying if they speak slowly but that's it).

> Regards, Myriam.

Cheers

Jos