[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Dec 10 09:33:48 GMT 2009

Am Mittwoch 21 Oktober 2009 schrieb Christian Mollekopf:
> To overcome this problem, i want to store the data in just ONE
>  container,  basically a huge growing database, of all notes i ever
>  make.
> I believe it should be possible to still find the correct data trough
> searching (keywords, date, associated notes).
> Anyway i have to know what i am looking for (everything kde related,
>  all  todo's which are not completed), so it should always be possible
>  to find the right keywords.

Actually you can do that with Basket. Just have one container, instead of
many. You can even hide the basket tree view and only see the basket
contents.

Actually I am partly using Basket this way. I have an incoming basket,
where I put everything I do not want to classify right now. Out of it I
eventually move things else. This is a bit like the Getting Things Done
approach, but with the difference that in my life it does not yet work as
advertised. According to the book you should work on emptying that
incoming basket once a week. I do not manage to do that. So its rather
large, lots of pages, but if I want to find something in that basket I
just type into the search bar. And if I do not know which Basket I used
for storing I activate search all function.

Still granted, maybe it would be worth implementing a different view onto
the information. The tree view is a quite traditional approach. It could
also work like a loose mindmap view where you can put information and add
relation ships later one. Or something completely different.

But even then I do not think, that in all case this needs to be a
different application. Consider Konqueror or Dolphin - it has different
modes to view the filesystem contents. Basket could have too - if Basket
developers agree. I could even have a "collapse all baskets into one"
view, basically allowing for different baskets while also providing the
view on information you think off. Another view could be "put all notes
randomly on one big canvas and let me drag them around and connect related
notes via arrows or whatnot". Actually it almost has that view for a
single basket already. Free-form view, but you cannot yet connect related
notes other than positioning next to one another.

The information below that could be stored in Akonadi, Nepomuk.

And only if the idea of a workflow you have is too different from Basket
or KJots another applications might make sense. Hopefully using the same
data as Basket and possibly KJots from Akonadi and Nepomuk. But actually I
think the work flow you described could be emulated in Basket just right
now already. Put everything into one basket and use full text search. Only
thing missing would be relating information together at least as long as
you do not want to group them in different baskets for that.