[Kde-pim] KMail Needs Some Love (before 4.4)

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Dec 15 15:21:35 GMT 2009

Hi Allen,

On Saturday 12 December 2009 16:32:31 Allen Winter wrote:
> KMail trunk is in bad shape.  I will name a few problems here that we need
> to investigate and fix before 4.4 is released.  For me, KMail is barely
>  usable.
>
> I am using the same accounts that I have for many months: a POP3 account
> from my ISP; a DIMAP account from the KDAB Kolab server.
>
> 1) over slowness and sluggishnesh

Apart from really really slow startup (of Kontact, not KMail), I don't have
any problems here.

> 2) the UI is blocked often; definitely when new messages are being
>    downloaded

That's normal for POP3, has always been the case. Do you think it got worse in
KDE 4.4? I'm not aware of any changes there.

> 3) crashes a lot in KJob

Just fixed that in kdelibs.

> 4) crashes a lot in messagelist

Yeah, for me too, those are the only crashes I'm getting with KMail. I can not
reproduce these, otherwise we could ask Szymon to have a look.

> 5) session dbus-daemon pegs the CPU at 100% and stays there

Not for me, here.

> I cleaned out all my Akonadi db and config and started fresh there,
> so I don't know if Akonadi is involved in any of this.
>
> Please don't take this an excuse to flood with all your favorite KMail
>  bugs.
>
> These are new things I never experienced before in my many years working
> with KMail so I feel something is crazy wrong -- and I'd like us to figure
>  out what and fix accordingly.

Yeah, I definitely need to allocate some time to fix KMail bugs (and in
general to answer my unanswered mails in my inbox, actually)

Regards,
Thomas