[Kde-pim] KMail Needs Some Love (before 4.4)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sat Dec 12 15:32:31 GMT 2009

Howdy PIMsters,

KMail trunk is in bad shape.  I will name a few problems here that we need
to investigate and fix before 4.4 is released.  For me, KMail is barely usable.

I am using the same accounts that I have for many months: a POP3 account
from my ISP; a DIMAP account from the KDAB Kolab server.

1) over slowness and sluggishnesh
2) the UI is blocked often; definitely when new messages are being downloaded
3) crashes a lot in KJob
4) crashes a lot in messagelist
5) session dbus-daemon pegs the CPU at 100% and stays there

I cleaned out all my Akonadi db and config and started fresh there,
so I don't know if Akonadi is involved in any of this.

Please don't take this an excuse to flood with all your favorite KMail bugs.

These are new things I never experienced before in my many years working
with KMail so I feel something is crazy wrong -- and I'd like us to figure out what
and fix accordingly.

-Allen