[Kde-pim] kmail handbook

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Dec 22 22:21:29 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 21:59:13 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > >
> > >   So I should stop translating documentation .po files and write
> > > wiki instead? Will information from wiki (userbase) be copied
> > > into "ApplicationQQQ handbook (F1)" and distributed with KDE
> > > packages?
> >
> > This is the wrong forum to discuss this question. The discussion
> > needs to happen on the mailing list of the documentation team
> > (kde-doc-english).
>
> I don't aggree with you as translator/doc writer.
>
> Tomas Straupis raised a valid question, which I had in mind since
> thorstens mail saying "user documentation should go to
> userbase.kde.org".
>
> So here is my "official" question from kde-i18n-doc at kde.org:
>
> Is it true that "user documentation should go to userbase.kde.org"?

It makes no sense to discuss this question on this mailing list as this
concerns all of KDE and not just KDE PIM. Moreover, developers are the
wrong people to ask because we have almost no idea about how
documentation (in particular with regard to translation) is handled in
KDE.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Thorsten has the authority to speak for
KDE PIM. As far as I'm concerned, Thorsten speaks for KTimeTracker
only.

> Does that mean no documentation in kdepim/docs anymore?

I don't think so.

> Should the docs in kdepim be removed in favor of userbase?

I don't think so.

> Should the translation teams stop working on the translation of
> kdepim/docs?

No.

> I'd really like to her an statement from the kdepim devels on this
> isssue, I hate to waste the time of our translation teams.

As far as I remember, the idea w.r.t. userbase was to use it for
improving KMail's documentation resp. for rewriting it from scratch.
The reason for using userbase for this instead of svn was that's it's
much easier to use. The finished document (or a snapshot of it) was
supposed to be added to svn. At least, that's how I remember it.

Regardless of this, I don't think that userbase (or any other online
resource) will be an alternative to offline documentation in the
foreseeable future as being "always online" is pretty much restricted
to people living in first world countries.

Regards,
Ingo