[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:35:54 GMT 2009

Christian Mollekopf wrote:
>> Did you see my recent screencast about notes on the desktop? I didn't
>> demo it, but you can also create a new note on the desktop and it goes
>> into an "unsorted" collection of notes which can be organized later.
>
> yes, i had a look at it and it looks really cool. But I don't think
> plasmoids are the suitable interface for handling a lot of notes/todos.
> As reminder though, or if one just uses notes from time to time,  it looks
> perfect =)

Yes, I agree. It would work better by handling only a selection of notes.

>> > Functionality:
>> > -a quick interface to create new notes, todos, ?.
>>
>> In progress?
> Not really, I'm having a look at semnotes at the moment, but in semnotes
> it seems the notes are stored directly in nepomuk, while we probably
> should store all notes in akonadi and pull in related data via nepomuk
> (according to what you mentioned).

Hopefully. I'd like to know more about how notes can be stored in nepomuk
too though as (I think) nepomuk does.

> Agreed, tagging is just the most simple and basic way to associate data.
> Of course this doesn't use the full power of akonadi and nepomuk, and we
> should definitely try to use such "advanced tags", which can be understood
> by nepomuk. Nevertheless i think, manual tags are a good starting point,
> since it already allows to do a lot, and should be the most trivial to
> start with.

That is probably the most pragmatic way to go right now, yes.

> Ok, so this would mean the main interface to the data is akonadi, which
> itself gets more data from outside (non pim data), via nepomuk.

I think that should work. From the way we've been making akonadi and nepomuk
work together to handle mails/contacts so far it seems to work well.

>> I would like to know more about data retrieval with nepomuk, but that is
>>  the kind of thing that akonadi is specifically for. I guess feeding data
>>  from akonadi into nepomuk would work if we had a resource to do it, but
>>  right now I'm not convinced it is the way to go. That could be just my
>>  ignorance shining through though. I agree that new notes/todos should be
>>  created through Akonadi apis.
>
> According to what you said above, it should go the other way round, right?
>
> application <= akonadi <= nepomuk

Yes that's how I would envision it, but I think SemNotes works on data
stored in Nepomuk, not just metadata. I'm not certain though, and I haven't
had time to investigate more of that myself.

> Thanks for all the info and input,

Sure. I'm available for more whenever.

All the best,

Steve.