[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Dec 10 09:50:54 GMT 2009

Am Dienstag 08 Dezember 2009 schrieb Christian Mollekopf:
> Yes, as far as i understand it, SemNotes stores the entire data in the
>  Nepomuk  database. Since the notes are usually rather small this is
>  not a problem (laura checked once with the nepomuk people if the data
>  should be stored in files better).
>
> However, after thinking about it, i don't agree fully with you how the
> databases should work together (maybe because my lack of
>  understanding...)
>
> As I understand it akonadi is a PIM data storage/cache. It is therefore
>  clear  for me, that notes have to be stored in akonadi (where the
>  notes finally are, on a central server or on the filesystem, is up to
>  akonadi).
>
> Nepomuk is responsible to figure out relations between data, and does
>  not care  at all where the data is stored (but it is also not a
>  storage container itself).
>
> Therefore the only proper way to handle notes with akonadi and nepomuk
>  would  be (as i understand it), that notes are always stored directly
>  in akonadi, but the retrieval goes always via nepomuk (which gets the
>  data from akonadi).

Sounds sensible.

I have one concern tough:

How is importing / exporting / sharing between several computers handled?
How can I access the data without an application? How transparently for me
it is stored?

I use Basket, which only allows manual exports/imports of one basket
(including sub baskets). But then I know the stuff is in
~/.kde/share/apps/basket and I can backup it, I can copy it completely to
a different machine.

Maybe its just lack of understanding or ignorance till now, but how can I
understand how to transport / backup / copy my note data, when it is
scattered around Akonadi and Nepomuk? Can I tell Akonadi or Nepomuk to
just export the note stuff. How would I manage to get a synced copy of
Akonadi and Nepomuk stuff regarding notes. Can I export it to one file?

While I really like the Akonadi and Nepomuk approach of the application
doesn't have to care on how relations and data is stored, I fear to be put
a bit out of control as a user cause I myself have no idea where it is
stored either anymore. To me it partly feels like putting lots of stuff
into a black big container without knowing how to extract the data without
the means of an application. Baskets note storage is really easy to
understand and I could use the data even if basket would be gone. How is
that with Akonadi / Nepomuk data? Another example would be an
OpenDocument? That format is easy to grasp and I can use the information
even without OpenOffice.org or Koffice.

This is not just related to a note taking application. Maybe this should
be brought elsewhere? Or I can add a meta bug about this? Or ask that on a
Akonadi / Nepomuk related mailing list.