[Kde-pim] kmail tags

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Sat Dec 19 14:10:12 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 06:44:19 Christopher Brown wrote:
> I have a new pc that I installed kubuntu karmic on, and in setting up
>  kmail, I decided to go with a disconnected IMAP account (I had been using
>  a standard IMAP account).
>
> I tried copying the tag files (index and index.ids files) over to the new
> installation, but it didn't work. Is there a way to do this?
>
> Alternatively, it would be great to be able to export the tag information,
>  for example, by writing the message ids to a file for all messages that
>  have a particular tag. I don't see a way to do that. If I could filter on
>  tags, that would work along with the 'pipe through' action (I understand
>  that in 4.4, applying tags within filters will work). Any ideas?

Copying the .index file will only work if the folder has the exact same mails,
and if the disconnected IMAP account has the same syncronisation state.
So the "dimap" folder of KMail needs to be copied as well.

Furthermore, the information about the tags is stored in the KMail config file
kmailrc, at least the tag section of that also needs to be copied.

I'd recommend copying the complete kmailrc and all of KMail's data.

Synchronizing tags with the IMAP server is not yet possible, unfortunately.

Filtering by tags will be available in KDE 4.4, yes. I don't know any way to
export the tags right now.

Please use the kdepim-users list for further questions about KMail or Kontact,
this is a developer list only.

Regards,
Thomas