[Kde-pim] Akonadi::FileStore

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Dec 20 19:19:53 GMT 2009

I've just imported a couple of classes into playground/pim/akonadi/filestore

Executive summary: akonadi/filestore is a testbed for evaluating ideas for
better "single file multiple items" handling.

Long version:
we want our single file resources to share as much code as possible which
currently boils down to delegating almost all file I/O to the type specific
subclasses.

The main reason is that each type is quite different, e.g. no common base
class, different style of shared pointer handling, different parsing style,
etc.

So one idea is to abstract the file into something containing Akonadi Items
instead of the actual data.

A second idea, which actually has been more inspired by thoughts about mail
migration/importing, is to use a job based interface for file interaction.

There are currently two store implementations, one for testing a "parsing on
demand" approach for VCards (subdirectory mappedvcard) and one for testing
delivery of "full" items in the sense of with flags and attributes
(subdirectory augmented mbox).

Both have QTest based example usage code in filestore/tests

I haven't decided yet whether I want to try a "streaming" store or a "multiple
collections" store next.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Kevin