[Kde-pim] Closing old KAddress reports.

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Aug 5 16:25:51 BST 2009

On Wed, August 5, 2009 3:35 pm, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 5. August 2009 16:14:46 schrieb Tobias Koenig:
>>            What    |Removed                     |Added
>>- Status|NEW                         |RESOLVED
>>          Resolution|                            |UNMAINTAINED
>
>> --- Comment #2 from Tobias Koenig <tokoe kde org>  2009-08-05 16:14:45
>> ---
>> The development of the old KAddressBook will be discontinued for KDE
>> 4.4.
>> Since the new application has the same name, but a completly new code
>> base
>> we close all bug reports against the old version and ask the submitters
>> to resend there reports against the new product.
>
> I've probably missed the discussion,
> but on first read this does not sound like a good idea.
> KDE should keep responsibility for the software as long as it is in real
> production and KAddressBook is in real production now and probably for two
> years to come.
>
> Closing the reports thus is not a good idea, I suggest to mark them
> somewhere.
> So people can still submit new reports for KDE4, but they also find the
> old knowledge.

I agree. Since the old KAddressbook is part of KDE 4.3, bugs are still
valid until KDE 4.4 is released. Closing them prematurely will simply hide
them, not make them go away. When people open bug reports, they can check
against existing reports to see if the bug is already reported. Closing
all existing bugs will mean that people will waste time filling in new
reports for already known bugs.

I'm not arguing against closing existing wishlist items which definitely
won't be implemented. But the comment for closing the bug report says that
ALL bugs will be closed.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.