[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kalarm (location of akonadi resource code)

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon Aug 31 13:17:16 BST 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009 14:37:16 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Saturday 29 August 2009 8:57:24 am David Jarvie wrote:
> > On Friday 28 August 2009 18:51:45 Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > This commit will break the Kalarm packaging. The kdepim apps are
> > > packaged in a kdepim tarball while kdepim/akonadi is packaged in the
> > > kdepim-runtime tarball.
> > >
> > > The solution actually is to move the akonadi resource to the
> > > appropriate location: kdepim/akonadi/resource seems to be the wisest
> > > choice.
> >
> > The KAlarm akonadi resource depends on a KAlarm shared library.
> > Presumably moving the resource to kdepim/akonadi/resource would require
> > the library to be moved as well. I don't feel partcularly happy about
> > moving such code out of the KAlarm directory, since it is very much part
> > of KAlarm and is not specific to the akonadi resource.
> >
> > I'm copying this to the kde-pim list as well for comments.
>
> Can you refactor parts of the KAlarm shared library into the Akonadi
> resource? The current situation is simply unworkable.  We must have the
> resources buildable separate from the apps.

I recently did refactor to separate out the stuff which is necessary for the
resource, so that it can be shared as a library between the resource and the
rest of KAlarm. The KAlarm resource is designed to use KAlarm's event
classifications, and return Items which are KAlarm type event objects.
Currently the storage is in iCalendar format, but writing the resource in this
way doesn't tie it to this storage format. If this stuff is not able to be
linked in, this hiding of the storage format couldn't be done, and it would
remove all the useful stuff that the resource can do, so that I'd have to use
the straight kcal resource instead. So it would seem that the current
packaging method seems to prohibit putting extra functionality into the
resource beyond iCalendar.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.