[Kde-pim] Review Request and [RFC]: Add capability to merge items containing multiple parts, and to know what parts are available for a given item.

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Aug 22 12:23:15 BST 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009 13:00:19 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> You probably don't want to always get the body structure from the server,
> but just the Envelope. Does the envelope provide information about
> attachments? It would need some anyway if we're to show a attachment emblem
> in the list view.

AFAIK in IMAP that's different things (envelope and body structure). Now on
the IMAP resource side we can do it like we want. So if the resource is
requested for an envelope part I can under the hood request both envelope and
body structure on the resource side.

We just need to take the decision: do we expose a different part for body
structure on the Akonadi side?

Either way is fine with me I think. My only worry would perhaps be: for really
mobile client and high latency wire, asking for the body structure could
consume too much (can get a bit large if the structure is really complex,
which happens if you got signature, html, non html content, and attachments).
So we might want to decouple them in order to allow mobile client to really
request the minimum of information if needed.

> Actually it was intended to retrieve the small ones straight away, because
> there's no value in starting a separate job for each little attachments. I
> think the value in getting attachments separately is for big attachments.

I'd advocate about the mobile use case again, see above. A few megabytes can
make a whole lot of difference on your phone bill. :-)

> Is Item::BodyStructure useful outside of the resource? I mean would an
> application ever want to fetch it? Given Item::availableParts, I don't
> think it's needed.

You're right, I overlooked the Item::availableParts in your patch. That said
the question stays open: do we allow to request it separately or not? or to
inhibit its fetching? (thinking mobile again).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."