[Kde-pim] Review Request and [RFC]: Add capability to merge items containing multiple parts, and to know what parts are available for a given item.

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Aug 22 12:14:53 BST 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009 14:56:31 Volker Krause wrote:
> On Friday 21 August 2009 13:00:19 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > I would imagine the serializer could translate 2.2.1 into "funny
> > cats.mpeg". I don't think applications should have to deal with "2.2.1".
>
> I don't think that's a good idea. The only way to uniquely adress an MIME
> attachment is the above notation. That's what eg. KMime::ContentIndex does
> as well. Using attachment names will break sooner or later.

Agreed. First case of breakage: two attachments with the same name. That's
that easy.

> Also, I don't think it makes any difference for the application anyway,
> those part identifiers are not supposed to be user visible. For
> applications like the mail reader window which is one of the few users of
> on-demand loading of arbitrary payload parts, you'll need the MIME
> body-structure anyway. That contains filenames, comments, mimetypes, etc.
> for every attachment, ie. all the stuff you want and need for displaying
> unfetched attachments in some useful way.

Yup. If the need arises for other applications though (Stephen mentionned
attachments on calendar events or todos for instance) we might want to provide
some convenience above that, and to make it independent of MIME.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."